Friday 3 November 2017

oop - Using the "final" modifier whenever applicable in Java





In Java, there is a practice of declaring every variable (local or
class), parameter final if they really
are.



Though this makes the code a lot more
verbose, this helps in easy reading/grasping of the code and also prevents mistakes as
the intention is clearly marked.




What
are your thoughts on this and what do you follow?



Answer




I think it all has to do with good coding
style. Of course you can write good, robust programs without using a lot of
final modifiers anywhere, but when you think about it...



Adding final to all
things which should not change simply narrows down the
possibilities that you (or the next programmer, working on your code) will misinterpret
or misuse the thought process which resulted in your code. At least it should ring some
bells when they now want to change your previously immutable
thing.



At first, it kind of looks awkward to see
a lot of final keywords in your code, but pretty soon you'll
stop noticing the word itself and will simply think,
that-thing-will-never-change-from-this-point-on (you can take it
from me ;-)



I think it's good practice. I am not
using it all the time, but when I can and it makes sense to label something
final I'll do it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

php - file_get_contents shows unexpected output while reading a file

I want to output an inline jpg image as a base64 encoded string, however when I do this : $contents = file_get_contents($filename); print &q...