Tuesday 31 October 2017

java - ThreeTen-Backport implementation vs. backport of JSR-310?

Note: this is not a duplicate of href="https://stackoverflow.com/questions/29346649/comparing-threeten-backport-to-jsr-310">Comparing
ThreeTen backport to JSR-310. My question is more
specific.



In my company, I'm trying to get
DevOps to O.K. the use of ThreeTen-Backport for refactoring legacy code (which because
of deployment constraints with WebLogic 10.3.6.0 we can't upgrade from Java 6 and can't
use any version of JodaTime beyond version
1.2.1).




I can see DevOps having an
issue with this statement on ThreeTen-Backport's Github
page:




The backport
is NOT an implementation of JSR-310, as that
would
require jumping through lots of unnecessary hoops. Instead, this is
a
simple backport intended to allow users to quickly use the JSR-310
API
on Java SE 6 and
7.





When
they ask me what "Not an implementation" means, I need to be able to explain it to them.
However, the word implementation can have a wide semantic range,
and I'm not sure exactly what is meant by that
myself.



So my question is, in contexts like
this, what is meant by implementation vs.
backport? Since JSR-310 is a backport and not an implementation, is
there a counter example of something that I could use, that
is an implementation of something else, in the same sense
that ThreeTen-Backport is not an implementation of JSR-310?
What would an actual implementation of JSR-310 for Java 6 look like
if such a thing existed, and how would it be different from
ThreeTen-Backport?

No comments:

Post a Comment

php - file_get_contents shows unexpected output while reading a file

I want to output an inline jpg image as a base64 encoded string, however when I do this : $contents = file_get_contents($filename); print &q...