Monday 22 January 2018

linux - What is the meaning of "POSIX"?

style="font-weight: bold;">

Answer



style="font-weight: bold;">

Answer





What is POSIX? I have read the
Wikipedia
article
and I read it every time I encounter the term. The fact is that I
never really understood what it is.



Can anyone
please explain it to me by explaining "the need for POSIX"
too?



itemprop="text">
class="normal">Answer



href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POSIX" rel="noreferrer">POSIX is a
family of standards, specified by the rel="noreferrer">IEEE, to clarify and make uniform the application
programming interfaces (and ancillary issues, such as commandline shell utilities)
provided by Unix-y operating systems. When you write your programs to rely on POSIX
standards, you can be pretty sure to be able to port them easily among a large family of
Unix derivatives (including Linux, but not limited to it!); if and when you use some
Linux API that's not standardized as part of Posix, you will have a harder time if and
when you want to port that program or library to other Unix-y systems (e.g., MacOSX) in
the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment

php - file_get_contents shows unexpected output while reading a file

I want to output an inline jpg image as a base64 encoded string, however when I do this : $contents = file_get_contents($filename); print &q...