Saturday 23 December 2017

sql - mySQL JOIN usage













I
started as web developer about 1 year ago. Since then I've gone through PHP, mySQL,
Javascript, jQuery, etc. I think I've learned some things in this time. But when it
comes to SQL I'm a real noob. I just do a couple of SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, and using
some functions like SUM or UNIX_TIMESTAMP,
etc.



I've come across the JOIN functions, and it
seems to be pretty useful, but I don't see the difference of using JOIN or some WHERE
clauses to "join" the data betwwen tables.



I
read href="http://mauriciopastrana.com/gadgets-y-tecnologia/entendiendo-los-mysql-join/"
rel="nofollow noreferrer">this article (spanish) about join. and I can't
really see the usefulness of it. For
example:



Assuming this
dataset:



id nombre id
nombre

-- ---- -- ----
1 Pirata 1 Rutabaga
2
Mico 2 Pirata
3 Ninja 3 Darth Vader
4 Spaghetti 4
Ninja


Wouldn't this
query: SELECT * FROM TablaA INNER JOIN TablaB ON TablaA.name =
TablaB.name
produce the same results as SELECT * FROM TablaA,
TablaB WHERE TablaA.name = TablaB.name
?



Answer




Yes, they will produce the same result,
however, SELECT * FROM TablaA, TablaB WHERE TablaA.name =
TablaB.name
is an older method of performing a join that does not meet the
SQL-92 standard. It is also a lot more difficult to read once your queries start to
become very complex. It is better to stick with the explicitly declared INNER JOIN
format.



No comments:

Post a Comment

php - file_get_contents shows unexpected output while reading a file

I want to output an inline jpg image as a base64 encoded string, however when I do this : $contents = file_get_contents($filename); print &q...