Sunday 6 October 2019

OpenSuse - Command for Beep Sound (System Bell)



I have a source code that runs perfectly fine on Ubuntu, it does some copumtations, and at some points it beeps like this



system("beep -f 400 -l 500");



On Ubuntu I had to do



apt-get install beep


However, I migrated to OpenSuse (not my choice) and now I get this message "sh: beep: command not found", as the command and package are obviously different.



Does anybody know hot to trigger the system beep sound and define the duration and frequency? I have been able to find only one way to change the parameters




setterm -bfreq 500 -blength 500


, but no way to actually trigger the system bell (beep). The following things don't work



echo ^G
echo -e "\a"



PS - the system Bell is enabled at
Configure Desktop -> Application and System Notifications -> System Bell
and you can actually play with this


Answer



So, I did what @fvu proposed.



However, one needs to have sudo rights, to do so, otherwise (e.g. at my work-place we don't have sudo rights) there is this output message



Could not open /dev/tty0 or /dev/vc/0 for writing open: No such file or directory




In this case, you should:



sudo chmod 4755 /usr/bin/beep



as proposed here


No comments:

Post a Comment

php - file_get_contents shows unexpected output while reading a file

I want to output an inline jpg image as a base64 encoded string, however when I do this : $contents = file_get_contents($filename); print &q...